You will need to have the below materials for the course you have enrolled on. If you forget your kit you can borrow materials for a small fee (£3 – £10) depending on which class your attending. Your materials list is:
Beginner first 2-4 weeks
- Sketchbook for drawing exercises
- Putty rubber
- Willow Charcoal
- Good range of pencils (HB to 6B)
- Black fine liner & black biro
- Chalk and Oil pastels
- Kitchen paper and wet wipes; and
- Mug for tea.
Rest of term
- Range of brushes for watercolour and acrylic (3 flats and 3 rounds)
- Watercolour set, tubes or blocks
- Set of basic acrylic paints; and
- Palette papers & Palette knife.
Sheets of paper are available for 50p/£1.
Oils are optional in the last few weeks of the term and you may prefer to stay in watercolour or acrylic. For oils you will need:
- Oil paint (Alizarin Red, Indian Yellow, Prussian Blue and White) or a simple starter set
- Citrus or Zestit cleaner and blender (please note: no white spirit is allowed in the studio)
- Selection of flat and round brushes (separate set from acrylic or watercolour)
- Linseed oil
- Pure turps
- 2 x Jam jars
- Small dish
- Rags (plenty); and
- Soap liquid.
Strand Arts in Cheltenham will offer you 10% discount as a CFA student.