Initially you will only need a sketch book, pencils and rubber to get started and you will be advised on what other materials you will need after week one.
There is no need to buy other materials before beginning classes.
The CFA studio is fully equiped with easels, donkeys, boards and clips.
Class fees do not include cost of materials unless stated. The Art School has available a supply of paper to purchase (card only). Should you forget your kit or want to experiment with a medium before buying, a small cost will be charged.
- Sketchbook for drawing exercises
- Masking tape, plastic eraser, putty rubber
- Palette papers & palette knife (metal or plastic)
- Charcoals, compressed and willow
- Pencils (HB, 3HB, 6B)
- Black fine liner & black biro
- Range of brushes for watercolour and acrylic (synthetic is fine)
- Watercolour set, again as good a quality as you can afford, tubes or blocks
- Chalk and Oil pastels (optional - your tutor will recommend)
- Kitchen paper for cleaning brushes
Acrylic paints – as good a quality as you can afford
- Deep Red
- Crimson Red
- Cadnium Yellow
- Lemon Yellow
- Prussian or Phalo Blue
- Cobalt or Ultramarine Blue
- White (note we never use ready mixed black)
When you progress to oils you will need:
- Alizarin Red, Indian Yellow, Prussian Blue, Titanium White
- Zest-it (Please note: no white spirit is allowed in the studio
- Liquin (original or impasto), Sandsodar
- Rags (plenty)
You can get good quality materials on-line from Cass Art or Great Art.
The Range has a small budget range suitable for beginners.